Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Sugar?

It's important to use tact when communicating our needs to family members and others. When approaching individuals to discuss matters, more than likely, we don't know what they're going through or have been through. Let calmness and empathy rule.
A simple example: I enter a train car and a passenger already sitting in a seat, has his packages in the unoccupied seat next to him. The train is crowded. Which would be the more tactful response?
1) Growl and tell him, "I'm tired..move your stuff out of that seat so I can sit down, NOW!  
                                                               OR
2) With a smiling face, "Thank-you for moving your packages, please, I'd like to sit down.
Which response is the one that will keep an argument from developing?


A complicated example: You want to bring an extra guest for dinner. You call home and inform your mate, at the last minute, to set another place. Do you say:
1) I'm bringing an extra guest for dinner. See you soon.
                                                  OR
2) I know it's last minute, but it couldn't be helped...I've invited Dennis to dine with us tonight. Do you need me to stop at the store, for anything, before we come in?
Which call would you appreciate more?

When we approach people with taste and consideration, it breeds understanding and light. Be easy....

No comments:

Post a Comment