Thursday, April 5, 2012

Get Moving!

This morning I woke up with Spring Renewal, for my body, on my mind. I always thought Zumba would be the main flow for getting my body "right", but now I'm leaning towards a more spiritual, laid-back type of movement. Three types of undertakings in the running are: Yoga, Pilates and Tai Chi.

1) Yoga: is a physical, mental and spiritual discipline originating in ancient India. Meditation, Hinduism and Divinity are concepts associated with Yoga. I've seen people doing Yoga...hmmmm,... all those twists and turns? I'll have to see if they have a beginner's guide for the voluptuous and curvy!

2) Pilates: is a body conditioning routine that helps build flexibility, lean muscles,strength and endurance in the legs, abdominals,arms, hips and back. Emphasis is on spinal and pelvic alignment. Other key words associated with Pilates is breathing, balance and coordination. This movement sounds like a winner, for my particular needs. I feel I never get the full air capacity of my lungs...how about you? But wait; let's see what Tai Chi has to offer!

3) T'ai chi ch'uan: is a form of internal Chinese martial art, practiced for both it's defense training and health benefits! Health benefits: promotes balance control, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness. Also helps those suffering from high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's , Alzheimer's and fibromyalgia.
I see many seniors in the parks across my town, practicing Tai chi in the early morning hours. It amazes me that those unassuming arm movements could contribute to a healthy, vital body!

Well, I have many things to think about, as well as more research to do, before I make a decision. Which movement should I pick? Do you do any of these? What's your suggestion? Please leave your helpful comments below. I appreciate the time you take to respond! Have a nice and "moving" day!

*Movement definitions via Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment