Monday, July 16, 2012

ma

One of my earliest memories is of me being a five year old little girl. My mother picked me up from school at noon as I was in kindergarten and stayed only a half session- until lunchtime.I'd gotten a cheese sandwich from the school cafeteria just before she arrived to take me home. Although I knew she had a hot lunch waiting for me, I just had to have that cheese sandwich. Most kids had no choice but to get one. I just wanted to fit in.


On the way home, we stopped at the shoe repair shop. As mother chats with the clerk, I go and sit in one of the booths. Back in the day, the shoe repair shop had booths where you sat while your shoes were getting fixed. I opened the wax paper containing the sandwich and it plopped down on the floor, cheese side down! I was distraught, Very upset and crying, mother took me by the hand and led me out of the shop. She thought it was so funny.


"I sweat over a hot stove to fix you a hot meal and here you are crying over a cold, day-old cheese sandwich."


As young children, we fail to appreciate the sacrifices our mothers make, the big and "little" ones.
"Thank-you, Ma, for ALL the sacrifices....

No comments:

Post a Comment