Saturday, January 5, 2013

Change is a Place called YOU!



Hot summer night. Queens is pulsating.The music.The 'benz. The dude. But something just ain't right. I'm trying to get lost in the beauty of his physique, the "fineness" of it all, but not even the buzz attributed to five Long Island Iceteas is doing the trick.

"Pull this bitch over," I cry out. He's totally amazed and startled, but he does it. I struggle to get the car door open, but  before I can completely swing the lever, he gives me a shove, pushing me out. I land face first on the ground.

"Why, you dirty lowlife #$!!!!##!." As he drives off, I hear the car laughing at me. The music fades as he speeds into the balmy Queens heat. The world is spinning fast and out of control. I make it to my feet and grab hold of a tree.

"Miss, are you alright?" A talking tree?! Dude musta slipped me something extra in those drinks!

"Do you need a doctor?" As I focus, shaking the fog out of my brain, I realize I'm holding onto a woman. She's tall, brown, mid-sixties with a look of motherly concern on her face(which by the way, is lit up like Christmas Eve!)

"Did you see what he did, mam? I'm so embarrassed, but I'm ok....please, just help me to the bench."

She took me by the hand, led me over to the bench, making sure I was seated before she sat down beside me.

"What would make a man throw a seemingly nice young lady, like yourself, out a car door?Glad it wasn't moving."

"Yeah, me too. Anyway I met him at the club, he bought me some drinks, we talked; he seemed reasonably intelligent and DID YOU SEE HIM?"

"No, I didn't-fancy was he?"

"Fine as hell. One thing led to another and I was in his car headed back to his apartment. You know how it is."

"Um, no I don't. Never did let a strange man pick me up in a bar...don't you think that's rather dangerous, sweetie?" The young woman thought about it a few minutes and nodded. What appeared to be desperation on her part was just that-desperation. Work, home, then back to work again. Last night was the first time she'd been out in months. Grabbing "handsome's" attention was just the lift she'd needed- or so she thought. The strange lady looked her straight in the eye:
                           "So many young women look for love in all the wrong places. They look for their reflection in
                            a man's face. It's as if he's the answer to all her problems, whether it be companionship, money
                            or both. All the answers to your questions, dear, are inside of yourself. It's not fair to hold another
                            person responsible for your happiness, peace and tranquility."
The young woman, a bruise the size of a walnut now on her forehead, knew the tall, shining woman was right. Tears streamed down her face and she bowed her head in shame. When she regained her composure and lifted her head, the tall, shining lady was gone as if she never existed. Not even shocked, the young woman straightened her clothes and stood to her feet. She had change in her heart and something  to think about on her mind.
                             THINK ABOUT IT!

1 comment: